What do You want n Ft. Wayne Radio?

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Actually, the original concept was to give the station the name of a different animal every day:

"WNKR - The Wildebeest!"

"WNKR - The Ocelot!"

"WNKR - The Three-Toed Sloth!"

The promo guy has to come up with a a new one every day for a year. :)
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

WLYV :shock:

Woah! (flashback)

Jay Walker's starting point!
and Phil Gardner too.
(where did they end up?)

Less is always more
tiny
Regular
Regular

Post by tiny »

They're both within a flick of your dial.

Jay's still at 21, although currently off air, recovering with his new hip, from what I hear (seriously).

And Uncle Phil is Phil Reaser, the morning drive announcer on WBCL...using his real name, and his born again attitude to give life to the Lunch Lady once again (at least she was there last I listened.)
TINY....
-----------------------------------
TINY TUNES Event and Entertainment Services -Mobile Music, Pro Sound, Booking and Event Planning
tinytunesdjs.com

also occasionally on 92.3 The Fort

Still waiting on confirmation of my new Harrison Square condominium purchase.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I would like to be able to turn on the radio and not hear the same 12 songs over and over every hour of the day.
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

Easy solution....

Tune in 91.5 the Eagle.

Now add about 3,000+ songs to their playlist.

Rinse, Repeat.

I like hearing some songs over and over (Sting, Steely Dan, Obscure Rush songs, etc) but these guys throw in a few songs here and there that are off the wall, and damn good as well.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I do listen to 91.5 and 91.1 both are great stations however sometimes the reception is weak. I would like to hear a BIG STICK station play something different now and then.

Tiny, are you as a program director allowed to slip in something that you feel is "radio friendly" or do you have to put on only what is put before from the program advisor company?(I know it is called something else but the word slips my mind)

The reason I ask, Some stations around Indy WZPL an WRZX will slip in a local or regional act that they feel is "radio friendly" in their market to see if they generate buzz. Would that be something that WBYR my consider.
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Post by MrSpall »

Oliver's Army wrote: Unless its a cover, Peter Pumpkinhead was by XTC
Tis a cover, from the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack - and a damned fine cover I might add.
www.myspace.com/the1947californiacupcakecompany

www.indianajoshandtheblogofdoom.blogspot.com

We all live in a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

tiny wrote:Boy....I'd love to see it. Not that that kind of station ever existed widely in the first place, but the perception was there in many classic stations.
Playlists and music testing have been around for 60 or more years....and aren't likely to go away anytime soon.

The only stations I know of that had that feel have all been bought out by business-minded people....or gone away completely.

KSHE, WEBN, Q95, the Riff, KLOS, the LOOP....all corporate...and all soulless now.

WOXY, WMET, KLOL, 96Rock Atlanta....dead. WOXY couldn't even keep the vibe going as an internet station, and died TWO deaths.

KROQ seems to be, off the top of my head, the exception that proves the rule.

Not to debate you, Silencio...merely an observation.
Tiny hand picks EVERY song on 92.3. If he doesn't like it the song won't get played. ;) as if...

Chris
stevel

Post by stevel »

The radio station that I want will not survive commercially. I have known only a few in my life that were worth listening to day in and day out.

Back in Denver, when I was much younger, it was KFML, an AM stationat that. Don't bother to look for it, it died the day it was bought out and DJ Jim Sprinkle quit on the air, (VERY cool>)

Other than that, KTCL, Fort Collins, CO, WIBA Madison, WI, (also long RIP as far as broad airplay standards.) WXRT, Chicago still makes my trips to Madison pleasant, but its reined it in over the years as well.

God bless my Ipod.
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

1. Tune in 91.5 Columbia CIty on a radio in the studio.

2. Take 98.9's DJ mike and point it at the speaker.

3. Turn on mike.

4. Walk Away. . . problem solved
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
adam atherton
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by adam atherton »

hmm.

what i want for christmas...

1) WGL to bring back All Comedy Radio on the weekends

2) " " Jim Rome

3) to be able to look into the WGL studio while I am on the air on 96.3 The Edge, and watch Mr. Wallace squirm board opping terrible AM shows

4) to go back in time to 1991 (i think) when i first started in radio here, and watch Chris Tyler play "Hey Jealousy" 17 times in a row, and then get suspended (he was my mentor, thus scratching 2 weeks of my internship)

5) to have everyone see Keith Harris in his glasses. a scant few of you know what i mean. And you know how great this is.

6) to get back to that glorious day in 95 when the Gregorian Chants ended, and the Edge was born. Toadies, Sponge, XTC, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry- a real FW station. RIP.

7) to tell Frank Kovas that he CANNOT FIX EVERYTHING, so don't try. Call someone that knows what they're doing. That's why they do it. Let's not take all the stations off the air for another six hours so you can try to fix it yourself.

8 ) Get the night/AM shift from B-106 (me, hummer, phlash phelps, trip) in a room with a lot of alcohol. the stories would be LEGENDARY. i have some pictures....
adam atherton
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by adam atherton »

at the risk of a devito-

i agree. play locals when prudent.

you have NO idea how much influence the local music scence has.

i'd love to see a show dedicated to locals like 102.3 had. i like what you guys do, but you know....it's never enough.

i'd really like to see you do things more actively in the fort wayne community. i'm not talking about bar remotes, or maybe a live appearance at guitar center....but maybe making it a plan to randomly show up at shows and remote from there? there will be more people there and more interest than if you show up at evans toyota on wednesday at 2.

just an idea, and i love the bear.
traumaqueen
Pants Goblin
Pants Goblin

Post by traumaqueen »

adam atherton wrote:
what i want for christmas...

1) WGL to bring back All Comedy Radio on the weekends

5) to have everyone see Keith Harris in his glasses. a scant few of you know what i mean. And you know how great this is.
i will totally back you on both of these counts......
#1 was fantastic, especially when out running errands all day.
#5 always made me pretty hot. :wink:
traumaqueen
Pants Goblin
Pants Goblin

Post by traumaqueen »

OK, somebody's turn to get us back on topic.....
Drew Cage

Post by Drew Cage »

ok, here we go.

When it comes to the amount of times we play a song like "crazy b*tch" we let people vote on if the song is getting tired or not. Its called "The Music Advisory Panel"
http://989thebear.com/PROGRAMS/MusicAdv ... fault.aspx

That will take you right to it, what it does is lets you listen to all the new songs we are playing and rate if you are tired of it or not and/or how much you like it. Every monday we take this info into our music meeting and look at it when we make our moves with the music, if you don't like hearing the same stuff all the time then here's your opportunity to do something about it. We want as many people as possible on this so give it a try.

Variety of music- Again we allow people to have a say in this, about once a year we call people to come in and listen to a bunch of songs, and again rate what you think of them, we even pay people for this. Its not current songs, its things that the people who work here think we should be playing. I myself just turned in several hundred songs that I want to be considered. People are unwilling to get involved but more than willing to complain, here's a shot to get involved with what we do, what other stations do is up to them.

Local Music- I'm sure I'm not going to make any friends with this part but its the truth. Your average listener does not care about songs that they have never heard by bands they have never heard of. We found this out years ago when we started the Homegrown Show. It had horrible ratings, so since this is a business we had to cut it out, it was dead weight. We brought it back because we thought that there needed to be some sort of showcase for the talent that we do have in Ft. Wayne. It wasn't to compete with what 102.3 did, we never really cared what they did because they were not competition for us. Basically, doing a local show hurts our ratings but we think its more important to get some kind of recognition to the local scene, thats whay we sponser the Battle of the Bands, and will do so again next year.

Going out to local shows and broadcasting- This was brought up in an earlier post and I'll respond to it. We don't do this for a few reasons first, to get on-air mentions on any station costs money, we would do it if whoever was putting on a show paid us. Now, I know that sounds like a greedy reason but this is business. Secondly, we all have families and work far more than people realize and if we went out to one show we would have to do it for every show nd we simply do not have the time or the man power. We do link to band web pages from our "Local Licks" page so people can know when and where to see a certain band. Our website gets, I think, an average of 20,000 hits a week. Not sure though so don't quote me on that. Either way its quite a bit of exposure for the bands, if the bands don't see it then its because the people don't care. Sorry we can't force them to. We can only give them the info if they choose not to take it, what can we do.

The ideas and complaints I read are more than valid and they are things that the DJ's here, and I'm sure at every station, have brought up as well.

Thanks, keep it coming

P.S.
imaging how many times you've heard Crazy B*tch, not multiply by 10. Thats how many times I've heard it. Believe me I understand.