Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

girlzrock
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by girlzrock »

Recordstar wrote:Post where you're playing next. I'd love to catch your act...sincerely !!

Deer Park Irish Pub - September 9th, 9 to midnight.

If you come, please introduce yourself to me. I love meeting people from FWM.com to get to know the community and from everything you post on the boards you definitely have a lot of experience and knowledge about the music business. It would be fun just to have a conversation with you about it!
Live to Love, Love to Live!!
Jen
http://www.sugarshotmusic.com
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

I would still like to hear your definitions of "hobbyists" and "professionals" and how one effects the other.

I see apples and oranges.
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

Oliver's Army wrote:I would still like to hear your definitions of "hobbyists" and "professionals" and how one effects the other.

What can I say..if you can't figure out the difference between the two. Of course you'd probably take it to the next step of wanting to define Amateur, Hobbyist, Semi-Professional, and Professional. Whatever the definition, I think you'd be argumentative, and that would be a waste of everone's time to read further.
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

Recordstar wrote:
Oliver's Army wrote:I would still like to hear your definitions of "hobbyists" and "professionals" and how one effects the other.

What can I say..if you can't figure out the difference between the two. Of course you'd probably take it to the next step of wanting to define Amateur, Hobbyist, Semi-Professional, and Professional. Whatever the definition, I think you'd be argumentative, and that would be a waste of everone's time to read further.

To think that you can classify musician's this way is asinine.

Being a Professional musician has a lot more to do with whether or not you do it for a living.

I would be considered "Hobbyist" according to your scale, because I only play out a few times a month and hold a full time job. When the fact is my musical talents and skills exceed that of people you would consider "Professionals" solely because they do it for a living and do not have job.

If you are 30, live in your parents basement, have no job, and play in a band for beer money, you are not a professional musician.

You are a professional forking loser.
http://www.facebook.com/sevesd
http://www.myspace.com/sevesd
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

So you make an inflammatory statement implying that hobbyists are effecting the livelyhood of professionals and you would rather not see them playing out.

Then you ask that no one make a big deal out of it knowing that most of the musicians on the site are going to take offense.

So when Jen speaks up you accuse her of "not getting it" and being closed minded.

And when I sincerely ask you what you meant, you sidestep and point blame towards me for your not fleshing out you thoughts.

Just making sure thats where we're at here.
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

I have found that at FWM, if a comment is made, someone always tries to make a big issue of it. And this shoe definately fits you (Oliver). I think Jen got my point. O.K. Then let's classify all "playing" musicians as "professionals" and be done with it. I think the issue was, though not stated, the degree of involvement in the craft, not degree of talent profused. That is a whole separate issue. You always seem to make a mountain out of a molehill. By the way,...where are you playing next ???
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

um...yeah...thanks for clearing that up for us.

Oh, and I am playing the same stage you are. See you there.
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

Oliver's Army wrote:um...yeah...thanks for clearing that up for us.

Oh, and I am playing the same stage you are. See you there.
Not worth a comment...............................
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

irony.
conley
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by conley »

Yeah, making the "professional" versus "hobbyist" analogy sounds kind of elitist............It may not have been your intent; but, it is perceived that way.

In fact, I know a lot of "professional" musicians that don't gig nearly as much as some "hobbyists"......does that make the professional less professional than the hobbyist based on how often they gig out? And if so, does that now make the professional the hobbyist, and the hobbyist the professional?
Recordstar
Regular
Regular

Post by Recordstar »

Damn...here we are into semantics. Let it die for crying out loud.
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

Recordstar wrote:Damn...here we are into semantics. Let it die for crying out loud.
The problem is that whenever you make a statement, it sounds like you are talking down to everyone on this web site, and that is why it wont die.

Get past the whole, "I am a big shot record producer attitude", and form your statements with a little thought.

You knew damn well how people were going to take your comments, you stated it in your comment.

This town is full of a bunch of great musicians and bands, and whether they are classified as professionals or a bunch of hobbyists, they still deserve to play anywhere they can get a gig.

If a hobbyist can beat out the Pro for the gig, and is such a big threat to the Pro's income, what does that say about the Pro?
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

"I am a big shot record producer attitude",
Which he's not. So........
Stop.Drop.Roll.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

sevesd93 wrote:If a hobbyist can beat out the Pro for the gig, and is such a big threat to the Pro's income, what does that say about the Pro?
That he won't play in a dive for 10 bucks and a bar tab? :D

Just funnin' ya, sevesd... no flame fanning intended.
sevesd93
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

Post by sevesd93 »

Silencio wrote:
sevesd93 wrote:If a hobbyist can beat out the Pro for the gig, and is such a big threat to the Pro's income, what does that say about the Pro?
That he won't play in a dive for 10 bucks and a bar tab? :D

Just funnin' ya, sevesd... no flame fanning intended.
ha... :lol: I thought that was funny.

That is an answer that did not cross my mind...