Who's your favorite Professional Drummer

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

jojo the circus monkey

Post by jojo the circus monkey »

bassjones wrote:and yes a lot of those super fast double bass metal players record the double bass pedal tracks separately from the rest of the drum tracks.
how do you know that?

Get out of the metal world every once in a while.
come in to the metal world some time, and check out Cryptopsy, Candiria, Dillinger Escape Plan, or Upheaval.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Spend enough time in studios and you pick up on things. I'm not saying recording the double kick that way is immoral or anything. It cleans up the recording process quite a bit and that's why they do it.

I'm also not dissing metal. I like some of it. As long as it requires some skill to play I like most genres of music. I'm just saying there are better musicians out there.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Renegadesoulx
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Renegadesoulx »

Danny Carey-Tool
Dave Grohl-Nirvana/Probot
Tomas Haake-Meshuggah
Jason Bittner-Shadows Fall
Stewart Copeland-The Police
Jordan Maccino-As I Lay Dying
All these scars lead to broken hearts.
fragile_funk
Careful with the Funk
Careful with the Funk

Post by fragile_funk »

bassjones wrote:How do you think Lars has recorded every Metallica album since the Black album????
Lars sucks hard. Most respectable drummers, metal or not, will have the chops and coordination to do their thing right in the first place.

Speaking of double bass dudes, there is guy from Europe named Thomas Lange, and he does some crazy stuff with his feet.
[url]http://www.myspace.com/zephaniahband[/url]
[url]http://www.myspace.com/hammerstrikestudio[/url]
rezin
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal

Post by rezin »

jojo the circus monkey wrote: Kenneth Schalk - Candiria
good call...

i dig corey pierce of god forbid too, damn...
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
sope
Stencil Revolutionary
Stencil Revolutionary

Post by sope »

The Hand of Poo wrote:Brann Dailor (Mastodon)
Andols Herrick (Ex-Chimaira)
Igor Frickin' Cavalera (Sepultura)
andols is back with chimaira.....
Chimaira Talley Up A New Drummer - wookubus
(1:44 PM MST 01/13/2006)
Chimaira have parted ways with their drummer Kevin Talley on amicable terms and have replaced him with with none other than original band drummer, Andols Herrick. Herrick recently commented on rejoining the band, saying:
"Being away from the band and touring for almost two years made me realize how much I missed it. Being involved in the Roadrunner 25th album and concert made me realize that this is where I want to be."
Band frontman Mark Hunter also spoke up about the reunion of sorts, saying:
"He is a totally different person, we jammed the other day and he's a monster behind the kit. There is a lot of passion and excitement in his eyes, I can really tell he is renewed."
Speaking on the split with Talley (who has since been tapped to fill in on drums for The Red Chord for the immediate future), Hunter had the following to say:
"Kevin is an amazing drummer. This decision had nothing to do with his skills and everything to do with getting someone back who has been with us since day one. Some of us have known Andols since we were in High School."
fragile_funk
Careful with the Funk
Careful with the Funk

Post by fragile_funk »

sope wrote: andols is back with chimaira.....
Now THAT is some good news.
[url]http://www.myspace.com/zephaniahband[/url]
[url]http://www.myspace.com/hammerstrikestudio[/url]
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

My biggest influences:

Carter Beauford (DMB) - He is technical, but at the same time very musical and full of soul. When he uses double kicks, it's just right for the song
Stu Copland - taught me the meaning of less is more, and that my heads could always be tuned a little bit higher - He got me away from trying to be a Peart clone.
Phil Collins - before his ego-exploding days, he was actually a great drummer
Bill Bruford - Yes: Just try to play his stuff-yikes!
Manu Katche- his playing on Peter Gabriel's SO is just awesome
Neil Peart - the guy that inspired me and a thousand other drummers to start playing
Bonham - nothing needs to be said.
Jeff Porcaro (Toto) taught me the importance of groove

Bassjones mentioned Johnnie Knox (Adam Again) yes-excellent! Also, don't forget Steve Hindalong of the Choir
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
jojo the circus monkey

bassjones wrote:Spend enough time in studios and you pick up on things.
I can't even imagine that we would even think of the same metal bands. You mentioned Lars Ulrich in reference to metal, which is questionable at best.

I'm also not dissing metal. I'm just saying there are better musicians out there.
Yeah, that sounds like a "diss" to me. How could you know how good the skillz of metal drummers are? Again, have you heard Cryptopsy, Candiria (Process of Self-Development cd), Meshuggah (Future Breed Machine cd), Today is the Day (In the Eyes of God cd), or Dillinger Escape Plan (Calculating Infinity cd)?
The Hand of Poo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by The Hand of Poo »

sope wrote:andols is back with chimaira.....
And all has become right with the world again.
Yeah, that sounds like a "diss" to me. How could you know how good the skillz of metal drummers are? Again, have you heard Cryptopsy, Candiria (Process of Self-Development cd), Meshuggah (Future Breed Machine cd), Today is the Day (In the Eyes of God cd), or Dillinger Escape Plan (Calculating Infinity cd)?
Indeed. I thought I'd never heard drums before when I checked out Mastodon and Brann Dailor. You should do the same!
jojo the circus monkey

what's funny is that one of the drummers from today is the day went to mastodon. it might be the same one, i have yet to investigate. the guy from "in the eyes of god" runs a clinic on that album. i've actually studied.
sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

From wiki:
Before forming Mastodon, he and fellow Mastodon member Bill Kelliher played on the album It's Hard to Write with a Little Hand by Lethargy, and on In the Eyes of God by Today Is the Day.
jojo the circus monkey

a-ha! it's confirmed! thanks billy!

i actually made a little desk thing that says "Frango ut patefaciam" on it.

download the song "in the eyes of god." it's simple but sooooo good.
The Hand of Poo
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by The Hand of Poo »

Nice! Didn't know that one, interesting. I've heard Today is the Day before, but I wasn't all that into it. Insert cliches about hindsight here.
JEDIGLIDE
Regular
Regular

Post by JEDIGLIDE »

My Favorites:

CLAYTON FILLYAU
NATE JONES
JOHN STARKS
CLYDE STUBBLEFIELD
BERNARD PURDIE

Those cats are the reason I am a B-Boy.... RESPECT!

Breaklife,
Glyde Stubblefield