Venyx at C-Street March 2nd

Promote your show or talk about a show you saw or plan on seeing. Also make sure to post your gigs in our calendar section.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

zenmandan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Venyx at C-Street March 2nd

Post by zenmandan »

If you want to see two girls with phenomenal harmonies and spectacular leads, don't miss Venyx. The founding members and lead vocalists, Jessica Stewart and Cynthia Lugo, along with Les Brooke on bass and keys, Leon Wilde on guitar and bass, Luke Landis on guitar and bass, and Dan McCoy on drums, guarantee not to disappoint!

jewlee138
Addict
Addict

Post by jewlee138 »

So, I take it they're a cover band, eh?
Hot "finger-on-keyboard" action

www.expiredmagazine.com
zenmandan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by zenmandan »

Yep. If you like to dance, come check us out. \:D/
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

Amazing voices and great musicanship. Definitely not my thing, but those girls do have some serious pipes. And def. hot.

You guys certainly rock better than some other chick-fronted cover bands in this town. You should have no problem getting gigs.

Good luck.
Stop.Drop.Roll.
jewlee138
Addict
Addict

Post by jewlee138 »

I just can't get into cover bands...serious pipes & hot? Then they should DO their OWN thing. I hate it when looks AND talent are wasted on cover songs
Hot "finger-on-keyboard" action

www.expiredmagazine.com
Steel String Bender
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by Steel String Bender »

jewlee138 wrote:I just can't get into cover bands...serious pipes & hot? Then they should DO their OWN thing. I hate it when looks AND talent are wasted on cover songs
Many talented singers and musicians are not composers, nor do they have the desire to be one. For many, their gift is in the interpretation and performance of the music of others.

You've very clearly stated your opinion, and your previous posts indicate that you're a strong supporter of local original music. THERE IS CERTAINLY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

Of all the local original acts you support, how many would be truly qualified to write and arrange music for a group like Venyx? I've been out to see almost forty different local acts in the last six weeks. I have listened to a veritable plethora of local original music clips at FWM, Myspace, and other websites. With all due respect to those local composers and arrangers, it would appear to be a very short list who could, or would, write and arrange music for Venyx.

All that being said, maybe Venyx has no interest in performing original material. On the other hand, maybe they do. THERE IS CERTAINLY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT EITHER!

I say support what you want, but I will never agree with your notion of "Hating it when looks AND talent are wasted on cover songs."
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

And on the subject of doin' one's own thing....

Maybe playing other people's songs real well and getting booked instead of struggling to write a bunch of artless, self-absorbed and obviously derivative crap that nobody wants to pay to hear IS their own thing.

Just sayin'.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

...and they play *real* instruments, too.

(carries about as much weight as "covers vs. originals")
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

For many, their gift is in the interpretation and performance of the music of others.
Word that. I'm learning three songs right now from one of my new favorite bands, The Avett Brothers, and let me tell you, it's a blast.

I think what Jewlee is really driving at is two things: be creative and original; and DON'T cover Kelly Clarkson. :evil:
Stop.Drop.Roll.
zenmandan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by zenmandan »

Dagwood Lee wrote:I think what Jewlee is really driving at is two things: be creative and original; and DON'T cover Kelly Clarkson. :evil:
haha..Kelly Clarkson. To be honest, when I joined this band, I didn't really like MUCH of what they did, but the musicianship and talent made it impossible to pass up. Now I actually listen to 96.3 and 107.9 to hear what's new and what new songs would sound good with us doing them. When I listen to this stuff now, I'm amazed at how empty some songs are, and how full others are (what with all the sequencing, etc.), but would be wicked if we could pull them off. We have, on everything we're playing out (including Kelly!) And trust me...with Jess and Cyndi singing, you don't hear Kelly, you hear Jess and Cyndi!

As far as the being original thing goes...with what we are doing, we have to be original. Let me explain. With a song that has just drums and a sequenced keyboard part, how do you arrange that for a 6 piece band with guitars, bass, keys, and drums? Some of what we do is like that. There is, as well, the stuff that we do as close to the original as possible. People don't want to hear Beyonce done your own way. They want to hear what they know. The originality comes in making a song sound like everyone knows it to sound, and still making it our own arrangement.

I've done the original thing for YEARS. I love playing original music that I had a hand in writing. You know what I like even better....playing for more than 10 people...playing for people that really want to hear what you're doing...getting paid more than pennies a gig...getting gigs! :D
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

"Everybody's got their something."

Shoot me for quoting that. But it's true.

Don't like cover bands? Don't support them. And don't tell others what they should do when in actuality, it's what YOU would do if you had the talent to do what they do.

Because see, here's a little secret...some people DO like cover bands!

:shock:
Dagwood Lee
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by Dagwood Lee »

Done.
Last edited by Dagwood Lee on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop.Drop.Roll.
zenmandan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by zenmandan »

Dagwood Lee wrote:Anyway, come to Dicky's on St. Paddy's Day and stay a little longer than last time and you'll know what I mean. :)
My wife had to get up stupid early the next day...sorry!

As far as getting paid pennies and playing what you love..I've done that. Jeff Lipman and the Informers is a perfect example. We played lots of gigs for not a lot of moolah, or people. And don't get me wrong about what I'm doing with Venyx. I love it! I would have never thought I'd play in a band covering Christina Aguilera, but DAMN is it fun!! :D
Leon

Post by Leon »

i come from a metal musical background, and have also found playing Christina Aguilera to be pretty fun. and that's what i have in Venyx; fun. and that's what we want for our audience. fun.

so, come boogie with us March 2nd. it'll be fun :D
dofus hipster
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by dofus hipster »

I have done both as well. Loved things in both situations, hated things as well. This cover band pushed me into music I did not really like at first. I have a new respect for many "pop" writers. If you are going to do covers, do some stuff that challenges you. It's better than 3 Steps, Brown Eyed Girl and so on....

YMMV
No Man Can Eat 50 eggs!