Aren Winebrenner

Use this forum to start a thread about yourself. Please take the time to read to rules and regs before posting.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Aren Winebrenner

Post by Hutnick »

Hi, I've been lurking for a while, occasionally popping my head out of my hiding place. Some of you know me, most do not. My name is Aren Winebrenner. I was born in the glorious year of 1974 in the gem of northeast Indiana, known as Kendallville. I grew up in another local "hot spot", Albion.

I began playing music my freshman year. My best friends and I dreamed of being Minor Threat, so we started a band. We came up with the name first, since that is the most important part of a band when you are a teenager-Parasitic Niche. The playing part we could figure out later. We did a few shows around town - with New Kids on Acid, Forward NRG etc... We sucked but had a lot of fun.

Like all high school bands, it didn't last long. Our singer wanted to lose his virginity and playing punk in Kendalltucky was not a good way to go about that, so he quit the band and bought some M.C. Hammer pants. Eventually, he got laid, regained his pubecent senses and we started another band. Blah, blah, blah. More punk rock fun was had. I did finally try to get serious and attempted to take some lessons. I took lessons from Jim Reiski for about 3 months, but just wasn't into it enough to cough up the dough and do the practice time.

Shortly after graduation, I began inadvertant procreation. Still being a kid myself, I could not find it in myself to do the responsible thing and quit chasing music with all of my energy. Over the course of the next several years I played with a bunch of groups: Noble County All Stars-original funk/metal, 4:20 Overture-leftovers from N.C.A.S., Tony Kendrick Band-blues/rock, Cloud 9-bar/cover/butt rock, etc.. Of all the groups I played in during the 90's, Cloud 9 was the only one that I actually made any money from. I again attempted to learn something and took some lessons from Tim Beeler for about 8-9 months. This effort was with good intentions and I really did practice this time, but the weight of family life and my job forced me to give up once again. Dark days.

During the late 90's I began to develop an appreciation for jazz. The short time that I spent working with Tim Beeler really piqued my interest in jazz as well. Matt Tackett(first guitar player I played with) and I were both trying to figure this stuff out so we started getting together and working out what we could. Eventually, Matt hooked up with Tim Coffel and we tryed putting together a 3 piece fusion group. I don't remember what we called it. Matt had a handful of originals and we did some Mahavishnu, Larry Coryell, Jeff Beck and the like. Looking back, it probably didn't sound the greatest but was a good learning experience for me.

At this point I needed a change. I took off to Florida, got a job, landed a cover band gig, a weekly reggae gig,and a sound gig, then had to promptly quit everything and go back to Indiana to get a divorce. I should have seen it coming-high school sweethearts rarely last, especially under our conditions. There was however a silver lining. I came back, got custody of my 2 sons and started a new life. It was shortly after all of this when I met the woman who is now my wife, Christina. Without her I would be a wreck.

The next musical stage for me was spotty. A couple half hearted attempts to put together a group fizzled. At this point, a friend called and asked if I would be able to do a fill in gig with his band: Grateful Groove-dead cover band, like you couldn't guess. I said sure and afterwards they asked me to join full time. The dead wasn't really my thing, but I though, if Jimmy Herring can do it, I can too. Suprisingly, I had a lot of fun playing that stuff. Two years was enough though, so I finished the gigs we had booked and called it quits. It was at this time that I stumbled upon an old broke down upright bass. I bought it for next to nothing, and had it fixed. I fell in love immediately. I mothballed my bass guitars and dived in head first.

It was around this time that I met Jeff Lipman. We played an open mic together and clicked. Musically, Jeff has been like a brother to me. I love the guy and hope to always be able to play with him. We started playing together quite a bit, and began talking about recording a CD. Work began on what was to become "Timegun" at 2220 studios in Fort Wayne.
After the album was finished we put together a band to support it - "The Informers". We had a rough year. I really beat the streets trying to get gigs, but no one in Fort Wayne new us and I had a real tough time getting any bookings. I know-network, network, network. I have kids though and can't be out 4 nights a week schmoozing. Our guitarist and drummer left for steady gigging bands and the group was finished. Jeff and I have played together ever since.

I was also doing a few gigs here and there with Mimi Burns Band-celtic/rock. In the process I met and played with some great musicians.
Francis Miller-violin, Dan McCoy-Drums, Steven Tyler-guitar, Vince Farris-keys. I had also recently been back in contact with my old friend Matt Tackett. Matt and Tim Coffel had been getting back together again and wanted to give it another whirl. I thought hmmm....Vince from Mimi's group is great and would probably dig this kind of thing. One thing led to another and Vince, Matt, Tim and I formed "Katzenjammer". Fusion madness ensued. We did some gigs and made a couple demos. Nothing too serious but a hell of a lot of fun.

--------------------Fast forward to the present.
I began, earnestly, studying upright bass almost 2 years ago. I contacted Kevin Piekarski, who teaches bass at IPFW, plays with the Fort Wayne Philharmonic, and does various jazz gigs around town. Kevin has been such a huge help and influence on my playing. I can't say enough good things about Kevin. I feel lucky to be studying with him. He suggested I give the IPFW Community Orchestra a try last year. I followed his advice and had the time of my life. I performed alongside Casey Stansifer for two concerts. That time was possibly the most musically enriching time of my life. However, for me to play that music and do it justice, I would have to practice far too much than my life will allow. So I took the experience for what it was and moved on.

Lately, through Mimi Burns, I met Mark and Gwendra Turney which has been a treat. Mark asked me to join one of his projects: Rhapsody In Wax-a 1920's-1930's swing/crooner act, which has thus far been a blast. Mimi Burns Band continues to record and do a few gigs here and there. I have been doing occasional real book jazz duo gigs with Mick Colacari from "The Bee's Knees". Jeff Lipman is in the studio laying tracks for his next offering so I am eager to get in there and lay some bass tracks and hopefully do some gigs afterwards.

This is my musical existance (condensed as much as I could, but with all the meat and potatos) up until now.

Oh yeah, I can cook a friggin' mean breakfast too...
Last edited by Hutnick on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
this dude
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by this dude »

So you're the upright guy for Jeff?! COOL! We played at a party last fall in the Kendallville/LaOtto area. I can still smell the sourkraut, LOL! My drummer filled in for you guys. Froze our butts off! I think there's a picture of you guys on my website.
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

Cool! That was a ummm...kinda...uhh an o.k. gig, I think, maybe, or ...
You guys sounded great though. It wasn't really our element. I don't think the crowd was in the mood for weirdo-folk-rock, but oh well. We had a good time anyways. Nice to hear from you.
this dude
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by this dude »

Okay? I thought you guys sounded DANG GOOD! You're right though, definately a 'play something we know' crowd. We play a lot of B-side covers, so sometimes we pay about the same price familiarity-wise as anything very eclectic.

I just realized something- We suffer for SOMEBODY ELSE'S art! :?
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Re: Aren Winebrenner

Post by cwallace »

This guy with his spam!! Wow....I am getting it though.

Thanks for the head up guys !!

Chris