What do You want n Ft. Wayne Radio?

Discuss anything in general that has to do with music.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

So if an L.A. station hosts a 'local' show...do they pretty much just play the SAME stuff for the two hours?

Chris
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

I think 106.3 is doing a great job filling their niche.

Now if we can get a classic *alternative* station we're golden. I honestly think the format is marketable here. The people who grew up in the 80s on the early "post-modern/new wave" ie. REM, Cure, Depeche, U2 and the like, are all now prime demographics for radio.

Interesting that the push from the new US 93.3 is no commercials.

Tiny? Insight?
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

the US 93.3 thing is a gimmic...it most likely won't last as long as they say they are doing it.

96 wave plays a lot of the old alternative stuff, but you are spot on with the idea that the target demographic is a viable source of income for that type of station. I would tune in for sure...

Chris
Rock1

Hmmm...

Post by Rock1 »

I think less Fort Wayne would be a good start. Maybe not Fort Wayne as a whole, but the idea that we all want to listen to the same " mix" of songs that we've heard for the last 30 Years. Kudos to Rock 104 for interjecting some new material from bands that we don't get to hear from everywhere and all the time. That said, I know there is an incredibly huge market around here for safety and contentment so...nevermind. It's fun to argue and give up.
tiny
Regular
Regular

Post by tiny »

Sankofa wrote:I'd like to hear that a college town such as Fort Wayne got itself at least one college radio station.
Been there, done that. As I pointed out in an earlier post, 89.1 WBOI started out as the local college station. The college let it go dark.

Radio stations, unlike radio, doesn't just come out of the sky and into your radio. They are allocated, and licensed. We ain't getting any more, anytime soon.

Anyone that wants to discuss the possibilities, feel free to call me. We'll do lunch. But I'm tired of listening to people bash local radio, and telling me and others how profitable a local station with local artists would be. Local music got the Bear a 0.0 rating. NOTHING. No qualifiable listeners.

Local music, and the support thereof, got WXTW (x102) a 0.7 share. Less than the Christian station on AM. And eventually, got the station shuttered, and sold for a Spanish format that did three or four times better out of the box.

As far as a more 'eclectic' format....

The LA NPR outlet plays lots of the same shows available on our local NPR outlet. But 'local radio' doesn't have the same cool factor. I can listen to both NPR, AND Todd Harrold and Felix Moxter, right here. Which one caters to the crowd, and the mindset, that so many here espouse? KCRW? I don't think so.

Everyone wants what the Eagles wanted...Everything, all the time. But no one wants to work to build it, promote it, or support it. So what you get....is what you get. The corporate playlist....geared to the greatest audience....to appeal to the most advertisers. Not pseudo-elitists that believe that because you CAN"T get it here, it's better. Haagen-daaz, Evian, and more were built on the same laughable theory. Ice cream from Jersey tastes better when it has a fake Scandanavian name attached to it.

Stream KPIG on your internet connection, if local radio does nothing for you. Or move to LA to listen to KCRW. But I bet either one costs a whole lot more than you've EVER invested in local radio. When was the last time you wrote a check to the LOCAL NPR station? I thought so. All talk, no action.

I'm done with my rant. Local radio is what it is, because local listeners are who they are. Even YOU.

Now I'm gonna go to the Humane Shelter, and hug a puppy. Have a great day.

Oh, and US 93.3 is a gimmick. And I like the Vibe (106.3), but I bet they won't be able to sell it, and like Y94, it will go away. Just my .02 there.
TINY....
-----------------------------------
TINY TUNES Event and Entertainment Services -Mobile Music, Pro Sound, Booking and Event Planning
tinytunesdjs.com

also occasionally on 92.3 The Fort

Still waiting on confirmation of my new Harrison Square condominium purchase.
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

Exactly what he said...

Chris
Bjart Sod
Regular
Regular

Post by Bjart Sod »

Tiny, if you work in local radio, then I may have another reason aside from the playlists to not listen. Next time, try understanding what the other people are saying before you start throwing insults and accusations around. (Hint: You may even have to ask questions.)

And not everything revolves around radio. If I move out west, it'll be for professional reasons not because I've heard "One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer" more times in my life than I asked to. And yes, I will gladly contribute to NPR when I can wherever I go. The only local station I listen to by choice for more than a few minutes is WBOI, because they have more of what I want from a radio station than any other, though I still wish they would drop some of the repeat programs and vary up the week-day evening schedule more.
[i]Bound his hands, slit his throat
Three Masons stole his life away
And dumped him in the cold Ontario[/i]
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Bjart Sod wrote:Tiny, if you work in local radio, then I may have another reason aside from the playlists to not listen. Next time, try understanding what the other people are saying before you start throwing insults and accusations around. (Hint: You may even have to ask questions.)

And not everything revolves around radio. If I move out west, it'll be for professional reasons not because I've heard "One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer" more times in my life than I asked to. And yes, I will gladly contribute to NPR when I can wherever I go. The only local station I listen to by choice for more than a few minutes is WBOI, because they have more of what I want from a radio station than any other, though I still wish they would drop some of the repeat programs and vary up the week-day evening schedule more.
Tiny was clearly ranting and I think if you read more than just his last post, you would see the viewpoint he is coming from...

This is a touchy issue, so we all have to have some patience when reading differing opinions...Tiny has had several key points in his posts, so don't judge his standpoint from just his last...
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by cwallace »

In his defense he...(as have I)...works in radio and I am sure (as did I) faces on a daily basis the rash of people who 'know how it should be done' and love to give their opinion on how radio should be.

It isn't a magic switch that you throw. We HAD a good alternative station in town...the community didn't take to it...now it is a spanish station. Radio is a business of numbers. When the numbers aren't there then things must change. If the numbers ARE there then why change it?

Simple as that. Unless you have LOTS of money to play with the system you are not and will not be able to solve the age old questions of radio and how it really works.

Chris
Bullitt
Troll
Troll

Post by Bullitt »

Okay I'm new here so I'll try to be as succinct and polite as I can be. I don't listen to a whole lot of local broadcast radio. I have satellite radio in my car that I bought about six years ago after losing Jim Rome, Cubs games, and other sports programming on AM and most of the "interesting " radio on FM. Now having said that I do support the local scene as much as possible and almost never miss the BEAR Metal on Sat. nights. I understand the dilemma of needing to make money and I can't offer a cure all to anyone. I really do appreciate the fact that people who work in radio are here trying. It makes me more likely to tune in at least a few times a week just to see what's changed and what hasn't. It's just really difficult when I can have whatever "I" like whenever on Satellite. :(
jewlee138
Addict
Addict

Post by jewlee138 »

Oliver's Army wrote:I think 106.3 is doing a great job filling their niche.

Now if we can get a classic ... early "post-modern/new wave" ie. REM, Cure, Depeche, U2 and the like,
Hot "finger-on-keyboard" action

www.expiredmagazine.com
subgenius88
Regular
Regular

Post by subgenius88 »

Listen to the burnt toast show. Do that 24/7.
MaryFahrenheit

Post by MaryFahrenheit »

It'd be nice to hear songs that remind you how awesome a song was that you had forgotten about.... and not be reminded that you've heard the same song wayyy too many times.

I listen to 91.1 a lot and some of the songs played actually made me open my eyes a little wider and appreciate life just a little bit more. I'm a sucker for mid-90's quirky and introspective songs. :oops: