MUSIC STORES :: Wooden Nickel Reviews

Review local and chain retail stores.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

Post by Massage...Bored »

poopstains wrote:I used to go to the one in time corners for tickets but not anymore now that i have a credit card and internet, but it always smelled like incense and I hate incense, also I never really like the selection, I'd go to best buy over wooden nickel any day
The Times Corners store has probably the smallest selection due to its space. But things can be ordered and there usually the next day.

I would have to say you usually cannot beat the selection at the Clinton and Anthony Stores combined with anything here in town. Add to that the ridiculous rap and hard to find soul/funk/r&b of the Southgate store (we are in the process of returning the "rock" selection back to that location). Best Buy just does't seem to care all that much about restocking old catalog items and if you go to the North store it shows in their bins. My dad's cousin is VP of Marketing for Best Buy and I recently asked him about this downward spiral in their selection and he said that they are going to concentrate on selling new releases dirt cheap because the entire industry is flagging off the bottom of the chart.

I've been a loyal customer of this organization since I discovered the Southgate location when I was 16. Back then it was run by Eric, and that store had the most eclectic seection I had ever laid eyes or ears on.

I seem to enjoy the selection and atmosphere of the North Anthony store, that has a lot to do with the legendary Tim Hogan and his extensive knowledge. I love that man.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

When Todd Harrold worked at the SW store they always had a great selection of jam band and improvisational jazz stuff. He turned me on to some great music. I don't have much for discretionary income anymore so I don't buy many CDs. I like that most of their staff is pretty well educated in non-commercial offerings and if you tell them what you like they will turn you on to other stuff as well.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
GoDownProductions
Regular
Regular

Post by GoDownProductions »

It's pretty much the only place I buy music. I really love the cheap-o record bins! :D
Ca$hdollar

Post by Ca$hdollar »

Isn't the N Anthony Store the ONLY good place to buy records? I love their stores...great deals, I always get great CDs and Records from there without having to cough up a ton of dough.
www.mattcashdollar.com | www.myspace.com/cashsax | www.myspace.com/freakbrothers | www.myspace.com/saxnamedlarry | www.myspace.com/unlikelyalibi | www.myspace.com/beeskneessociety | www.myspace.com/jabberfunk
rezin
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal

Post by rezin »

poopstains wrote:
flapjacks wrote:
poopstains wrote:I used to go to the one in time corners for tickets but not anymore now that i have a credit card and internet, but it always smelled like incense and I hate incense, also I never really like the selection, I'd go to best buy over wooden nickel any day
Booooo!
what good is a review topic if they're all good reviews, might as well call it the "lick wooden nickels balls" thread. subteranian was my favorite local album shop, when it was out north not downtown.
wow.

this kids nuts.
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd