Bassjones

Use this forum to start a thread about yourself. Please take the time to read to rules and regs before posting.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Bassjones

Post by bassjones »

AKA Brad Jones, aka Bradley Glenn Jones (Glenn was my Great-Grandfather's name)

Born 9-19-1970 in DesMoines, Iowa

Moved around a lot as a kid, since my dad was (and still is) a minister. Have lived in 6 states, mainly Michigan, where I lived in 6 different cities. Received a private school education from 6th grade through graduation. We moved 3x's in that time period, but all within close enough proximity to the school for me to attend the same school that entire time. I think that's why my parents chose private school. My dad taught there part time to pay my tuition. I played soccer, basketball (my main sport), baseball and track. One spring I played baseball and ran track in the same season. After that, I just played baseball in the spring.

I played Tuba in symphonic band and developed a passion for music while I was there. Even back then I had some eclectic tastes. When everyone else was listening to Bon Jovi, I was listening to Bruce Cockburn, pre-Green REM, the Smiths, Miles Davis, Jaco (who is why I play bass now), Coltrane, you name it... I graduated in 1988 and trudged off to Bryan College (named after William Jennings Bryan) in Dayton, TN to study music and play basketball...

I blew out my knee first semester and couldn't play hoops. I was also growing increasingly frustrated with the ultra-traditional music program there and decided to transfer to Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, IN, which used to have one of the best instrumental jazz programs in the state of Indiana, especially for horn players. The director of the jazz program was Jerry Franks, who had played with Doc Severenson, Glen Miller Orchestra, gave private lessons to David Sanborn, etc... I was also going to play basketball there, but unfortunately suffered yet another devastating knee injury. From there on out it was music all the way for me. 2nd semester, Jerry died from Kidney failure, which was a complication of his long-time struggle with diabetes, which had also left him blind and caused two strokes.

While at IWU, I met, dated and became engaged to a young woman, and became engaged shortly thereafter. It ended badly, and I struggled for a long time with depression afterwards. The death of Jerry and the ill-advised engagement, along with the advice of a well-meaning professor who told me "If you want to be a musician, go play music. If you want to teach, stay in school.", led me to drop out of college. I moved to Onsted, MI (just north of Toledo, OH) and pursued my passion.

Over the next 6 years, I played in a bunch of bands that didn't make much money, held a bunch of crap jobs and dated very few women. In 1995, I was playing in a band called Everyman, which was meeting with some success and generating some small, Christian label interest. I also met my future wife, Amy and was starting to think about finding another avenue to make a living... the band broke up in '96, I got married August 2, 1997... My daughter, whose name will be kept secret to avoid any potential on-line predators, was born late in 1998 (again, actual date won't be revealed).

Moved to Ft. Wayne in 1999 to manage a group home for large sibling group Foster children. We were live-in house parents there for almost 4 years. During that time, I went back to college. I have an Associate's in Criminal Justice Degree and am now finishing up a Bachelor's in Management at IWU's Fort Wayne campus. The house was closed in August, 2001 because of funding issues. I was filling out an application for my current job on 9-11-01 when the radio began giving out bits of information of an attack on the World Trade Centers. I'm surprised I got the job given my total lack of focus that morning. Maybe they figured I was dedicated since I'd stayed to finish it...

Bought a house in 2002, and have pretty much made Fort Wayne home. Upon graduation I am hoping to use my degree in the music field somehow, perhaps starting an indie label or operating a not-for-profit music foundation. Adopted a boxer puppy about 4 months ago. My daughter named him Harley Ray because daddy likes Harley Davidson motorcycles and the music of Ray Charles.... how cute.... He's now 6 months old and growing like a weed.

Attend Fellowship Missionary Church where I am on the worship team, lead a small group Bible study and participate in and help lead diversity dialogue weekends. FMC is a large mult-cultural church. There are several different racial groups that attend and the third morning service has a Spanish translator. Come out and watch me play sometime.

Looking forward to meeting some of you soon.
Last edited by bassjones on Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

The director of the jazz program was Jerry Franks, who had played with Doc Severenson, Glen Miller Orchestra, gave private lessons to David Sanborn, etc...
Northern Illinois has probably one of the best Jazz Ensembles in the area. I learned more about music in six months just having a roommate who was in group than what I did in the previous five years of lessons.
G Fresh
RockStar
RockStar

Post by G Fresh »

*sigh* Not enough time for the Edmund's Folly chapter in your life, eh? 8)
http://www.myspace.com/matthewgates
http://www.youtube.com/MattyGFresh
Support Local Original Music
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Addendum: Bands I've played in...

A bunch of garage bands and cover bands not worth mentioning.

Everyman - my first band that actually got anywhere. Had some minor label interest, but broke up when guys started getting married.

7past12 - first post-marriage band. Lots of fun. Released a 3 song demo that went nowhere.

Moved to Fort Wayne and...

A brief stint of rehearsing with Brad and Chad from homeless j., back when they were homeless jesus. Never played any shows. Mutual parting due to a lack of musical chemistry and my commitment to the group home, which took a lot of time. A couple of months later they found Jon... and the rest is history...

Edmund's Folly - My personal favorite band thus far. Matt Gates (songwriting, rhythm guitar, vocals), Sam Smiley (lead guitar), Andy Fleming (drums) and myself (bass). Broke up following Sam's move to Chicago. Lots of promise and good reviews, just unfortunate timing. I still get together with Matt to play occasionally.

Short stint with Sunny Taylor - could never get the right mix of musicians, so now she's back to using Migraines. I'm the only local songwriter she's ever collaborated on a song with and I'm hoping it will be on her CD if it ever comes out. The song is called Carnival. I brought the lyrics and a rough song structure to her. She wrote the melody and we changed some of the chords around to fit her melody ideas. It was recorded in Nashville with the Elefante brothers producing... I just wish we could have put together a band that fit, so I was still playing with her...

Currently playing with Lalo Hernandez doing experimental funk, and will be playing with Adam Atherton and the Questionable Sushi soon. Always playing at church too. Every 3rd week is my current schedule.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-

www.bradjonesbass.com
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Addendum: Now playing upright bass with North River Agents, an eclectic blend of bluegrass, rock-n-roll, jazz, jam, alt. country, etc...

Also in North River Agents:

Adam Atherton - vocals, rhythm guitar, songwriting, collection of moneys owed and personal protection 8)

Steve Gutowski - lead guitar, vocals

Andy Akers - banjo, vocals

Felix Moxter - viola, fiddle

NEED A DRUMMER!!!!

and me, Brad Jones - bass fiddle, bass guitar, no vocals, lyrical writing
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
Mama Dragon
Regular
Regular

Post by Mama Dragon »

Any idea what college around here has the best criminal justice program?
[url=http://www.myspace.com/supinemusic]SUPINE[/url]

[img]http://img100.exs.cx/img100/8403/pillagefirst.jpg[/img]
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Whichever one Neil Moore is heading up - Ivy Tech or Indiana Tech??? He's great. Used to be at IPFW, but left to start the CJ Center at one of those two schools.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

HAHAHAHA

Jonesy - Here's your new cat avatar

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

The file's too big. I'm an idiot about that kind of thing... how do I shrink it to make it fit?
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Ask Ando or someone good with animated gifs.
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

Not sure?,....

looks like 1st Avatar is
dodging the 2nd Avatar's
output!

Quite successfully,.. I might add...
GRAVE ROBBER
Regular
Regular

Post by GRAVE ROBBER »

bassjones to the top!!!
Death, where is thy sting?
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I love that picture, even if am outright staring at the fretboard and am biting my lip. I do that a lot and it ends up hurting by the end of the night. Bad habit, I need to change.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com