Comics

Non-music discussion. Discuss things that are on your mind or things that don't have anything to do with music. Lets try to keep it clean people, there are little children present.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Comics

Post by MrSpall »

Is anyone else here a comic book reader? I've got about an $80/month habit right now, and that seems to grow consistently. My current list of books includes

Justice League of America
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Civil War
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Superman Confidential
All Star Batman
All Star Superman
Punisher War Journal
Knights of the Dinner Table
Legion of Superheroes

and many others.

Was just wondering if anyone else here shares my passion?
www.myspace.com/the1947californiacupcakecompany

www.indianajoshandtheblogofdoom.blogspot.com

We all live in a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo
sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

I'm into comics, but I don't buy individual issues anymore. I wait for a trade paperback / graphic novel to come out. I find it to be cheaper although it's a little slow going.

Plus I hit up the library they've got tons of comics.

'100 Bullets' and 'The Walking Dead' are my current favs.
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Post by MrSpall »

I've heard a ton of good stuff about Walking Dead - though I don't normally dig zombie stuff. I'm thinking of checking it out.

sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

Me = big zombie fan.

Having baised this statement, it's a really good read. I like it because it has gone past the whole 'Oh no! Zombies! Better hide in a building!' (although they did hide in a prison...)and into the actual living and dealing with flesh eating Zombies; amiss the loss of civilization.

I've been out of the loop with the Punisher for years. Is it worth getting back into?
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Post by MrSpall »

Punisher's been part of Marvel's MAX (adult) line for the last few years. I wasn't enjoying it as much. Basically he strayed away from going after mobsters and became part of various political engagements. He was fighting the IRA for a while. Then he went to Russia and started taking out heads of state. S.H.I.E.L.D. was using him as an assassin. I didn't dig that too much. The only really good parts of this run (IMHO) were in the very beginning, and became the basis for the movie.

But his new book "War Journal" is bringing him back into the mainstream Marvel universe, kinda returning him to what he was when I was a kid. Back then, Punisher was the only comic book I read.

They've only put out one issue of the new series, so it'll be a while before it come out in trade, though his Max series has plenty of trades out now.

Did you get a chance to check out Marvel's Zombies series? It might not be out in trade yet, so maybe you haven't. Pretty cool concept though. Reed Richards discovers an alternate universe where all the superheroes have been turned into Zombies. Watching Captain America eat a guys face is hysterical.

sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

Did you get a chance to check out Marvel's Zombies series? It might not be out in trade yet, so maybe you haven't. Pretty cool concept though. Reed Richards discovers an alternate universe where all the superheroes have been turned into Zombies. Watching Captain America eat a guys face is hysterical.
Yeah, actually I did. (Since I enjoy Zombies!) It was definitely a nice relief from the mainstream books.

I thought it was hilarious when the Silver Surfer was eaten.

:D
JEDIGLIDE
Regular
Regular

Post by JEDIGLIDE »

Yep, I spend almost $100 a month on my habit.

My subscription:

MARVEL-----------
Civil War
Civil War: Front Line
All Civil War Crossovers
Black Panther
New Avengers
Immortal Iron Fist
Captain America
Daredevil
Moon Knight
Amazing Spider-Man
Sensational Spider-Man
Wolverine
Incredible Hulk
X-Men
New X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Astonishing X-Men
Punisher War Journal
Dr. Strange: The Oath
Heroes For Hire
Cable and Deadpool
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: The End

DC----------
All 52 Crossovers
Justice League of America
Green Lantern
Superman
Batman
The Flash: Fastest Man Alive

Dynamite---------
The Lone Ranger

MrSpall, what's your top 5 favorite ones right now?

Give,
Jediglide
FWHHD
JEDIGLIDE
Regular
Regular

Post by JEDIGLIDE »

Actually after reading over my list, I know I left atleast 10 or so out. Plus, I'm subscribed to a gripload that are gonna drop in the next couple months.

Give,
JediGlide
FWHHD
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Post by MrSpall »

JEDIGLIDE wrote:MrSpall, what's your top 5 favorite ones right now?
Right now I'd have to go with

1. 52 - they just keep pumping out goodness week after week.
2. Justice League of America - I love Meltzer's writing, and have even been checking out his novels now.
3. Civil War - including all of the crossover stuff, I'm really digging what they've done to Spidey.
4. Legion of Superheroes - I'll read anything Mark Waid writes (for a while I was getting City of Heroes for this very reason)
5. Hunter/Killer - a TopCow title I'm really into, more Mark Waid

I know that there are others I've left out, I'm just trying to think of the stuff that automatically goes to the top of the stack when I pick them up each week. I'm also really into Fables and Squadron Supreme - think I left them both off of my earlier post. How bout you - Top 5?

JEDIGLIDE
Regular
Regular

Post by JEDIGLIDE »

My Top 5:

1. Civil War
2. Moon Knight
3. The Sensational Spider-Man
4. 52
5. Lone Ranger

The Immortal Iron Fist is running in at a close 6th Place. Have you checked out Moon Knight lately?

Give,
Jediglide
FWHHD
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Post by MrSpall »

I've never been much of a Moon Knight guy, always seemed like a Batman rip-off, is the new book worth checking out?

JEDIGLIDE
Regular
Regular

Post by JEDIGLIDE »

MrSpall wrote:I've never been much of a Moon Knight guy, always seemed like a Batman rip-off, is the new book worth checking out?
I felt the same way, until I kept hearing good things about it over and over again. After reading the new Moon Knight, I came to a conclusion that Batman is like a little school girl compared to Moon Knight.

Here's some information I ran across about the two:

Moon Knight is often criticized as an ersatz Batman and the parallels are indeed apparent. Writer of the 2006 relaunch of Moon Knight, Charlie Huston, attempted to answer these criticisms in an interview with Comixfan[1]. The interviewer noted that the comparison is not baseless, as both Moon Knight and the Dark Knight are wealthy, "normal" humans that use gadgetry to fight crime. Though not specifically mentioned by the interviewer, further comparisons may be drawn due to the two characters' specialized vehicles, use of themes in their gadgets, and use of fear to aid their fight against the criminal element.

Huston, though he disagreed, accepted that the character may be a rip-off of Batman, but went on to contrast the two by noting in particular differences in origin, motives, and personality. "Bruce Wayne", he said, "fights crime to avenge the murders of his parents", whereas Moon Knight "beats up whoever has it coming because he believes he is the avatar of the Egyptian god of vengeance and it helps him to feel better about all the people he killed when he was a mercenary." Thus, while Batman is motivated by vengeance for wrong done to his parents, Marc Spector primarily seeks redemption from crimes he committed in his mercenary past. Huston further notes that Bruce Wayne, Batman's alterego, takes on other personalities merely to aid in his fight. However, Moon Knight has three alteregos which aid him as much in dealing with personal demons as fighting law-breakers, and which have taken a further psychological toll of causing multiple personality disorder.

Give,
JediGlide
FWHHD
Myrddin
Regular
Regular

Post by Myrddin »

Huge Comic dork right here!

I am big into Alan Moore's stuff. I am on the same line with Sharkman and go with the TPBs. With all the traveling around I do it's hard to keep up with monthly issues.

I highly recommend:

Alan Moore's entire run on the Swamp Thing
Watchmen
Tom Strong
Powers
Promethia
DC's New Frontier
Superman: Secret Identity
Anything by Loeb and Sale (especially the Batman stuff)
Identity Crisis
Bone

and many more that eludes my mind at the moment :)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/sharkmansix/jedimaster.jpg[/img]
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Post by MrSpall »

Secret confession time - I consider myself a huge comic dork, but have never read Watchmen.

Am I a bad person?

Myrddin
Regular
Regular

Post by Myrddin »

Just go into a corner and hit yourself!!!! Repeatedly!!!!!!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/sharkmansix/jedimaster.jpg[/img]