Allen County Smoking Ban

City Planning, Ordinances, Events, Radio Stations, and other topic regarding to Fort Wayne.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Lou B do B dooo
Regular
Regular

Post by Lou B do B dooo »

Smokers don't get a place to go anymore that doesnt ential freezing their asses off that is.

Kinda like when non smokers had to freeze their asses off outside to get some fresh air.[/quote]
HillgrassBluebillyFTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by HillgrassBluebillyFTW »

Lou B do B dooo wrote:
Smokers don't get a place to go anymore that doesnt ential freezing their asses off that is.

Kinda like when non smokers had to freeze their asses off outside to get some fresh air.
OH! Touché!

I don't smoke but smoke doesn't bother me either.
1. I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. - Romans 15

If you want to know what I am working on check out these sites:

OhSoHumorous.com
TopDailyMemes.com
RandomDailyMemes.com
BestDailyMemes.com
FortWayneMusic.om
Kwalis.com
SoHumorous.com
FailUniversity.com
FaceFullOf.com
NuZuDu.com
FireFlyGoods.com
ThePeopleBlog.com
StealMyMemes.com
DontStealMyMemes.com

More to come...
poopstains
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by poopstains »

The_Dude wrote:Regulars will always get treated better.

Want the same treatment? Become a regular.
I don't want the same treatment as a "regular" I just don't want to be treated like sh*t. I'm sorta a regular at buckets, my friends are definate regulars and because of that I get decent service, but I wouldn't expect them to blow off other customers to serve me.

If bar owners are so pissed off about the ban why not create heated smoking decks, it would bring all those poor freezing smokers together and give them a warm place to complain.
Al Quandt
General Manager / Design
General Manager / Design

Post by Al Quandt »

poopstains wrote:
The_Dude wrote:Regulars will always get treated better.

Want the same treatment? Become a regular.
I don't want the same treatment as a "regular" I just don't want to be treated like sh*t. I'm sorta a regular at buckets, my friends are definate regulars and because of that I get decent service, but I wouldn't expect them to blow off other customers to serve me.

If bar owners are so pissed off about the ban why not create heated smoking decks, it would bring all those poor freezing smokers together and give them a warm place to complain.
City takes away business and now the business has to spend more money to build heated decks. Why do that, when I am sure in a few years they will ban those too.

I feel bad for the businesses that had to build special smoking areas after the first ban.
Fort Wayne Digital Media Production Group LLC
http://www.fwdmp.com

Music
myspace.com/deadgirlsorry
myspace.com/thatcraftydevil
myspace.com/skinnydamnit

Other
http://OhSoHumorous.com
http://RandomDailymemes.com
http://www.FailUniversity.com
http://BestDailyMemes.com
http://www.StealMyMemes.com
http://www.Sohumorous.com
GoDownProductions
Regular
Regular

Post by GoDownProductions »

Lou B do B dooo wrote:

Kinda like when non smokers had to freeze their asses off outside to get some fresh air.
[/quote]In my many years of going to the bar, I don't recall ever seeing people outside catching a "fresh air break". In fact, it seems like 8 out of 10 people I see at the bar are smokers. I know 3 people off the top of my head who ONLY smoke when they drink.

I'm truly sorry some people don't like being in a smoke-filled bar, but does that mean there should be a LAW banning it? How many rights are we going to allow them to take from us? I hate that we live in a society where we make anything "we" don't like illegal.

Are there numbers anywhere on the ratio of people for and against the ban?
Hutnick
Regular
Regular

Post by Hutnick »

GoDownProductions wrote: I don't recall ever seeing people outside catching a "fresh air break".
There have been many gigs I've been on, where, at some point in the evening I have stepped outside so I could get some fresh air. For a non-smoker, some of those places used to get pretty polluted.

I remember countless "mornings after" where my lungs were scratchy and hurt from all the smoke the night before. I don't care what any of the naysayers have to say about "second hand smoke hasn't been proven to be harmful." When I don't smoke and my lungs feel like sh!t after being in a smokey bar all night, I say bullsh!t to them. If it makes me feel bad, it is bad.
Lou B do B dooo
Regular
Regular

Post by Lou B do B dooo »

I have also been at gigs that between sets I would go outside to get some air. For years I have been playing in smoke filled bars and never whined about my rights as a non smoker being surpressed. If the smokeing ban were to be lifted tomarrow would I still go to bars? Heck ya I would, I enjoy the company of friends and I as a musician love to play so it is going to take me to a smoke filled bar from time to time. I as a non smoker enjoy going out and not smelling like smoke when I go home. Just my $.02
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Lou B do B dooo wrote:I have also been at gigs that between sets I would go outside to get some air. For years I have been playing in smoke filled bars and never whined about my rights as a non smoker being surpressed. If the smokeing ban were to be lifted tomarrow would I still go to bars? Heck ya I would, I enjoy the company of friends and I as a musician love to play so it is going to take me to a smoke filled bar from time to time. I as a non smoker enjoy going out and not smelling like smoke when I go home. Just my $.02
as a "social smoker" - i.e. I smoke a little when out with friends but not otherwise, I could care less either way if a bar is smoking or non-smoking. I actually prefer non-smoking bars as I don't smoke nearly as much that way, but that does not give me, or John Crawford, or any voter, or any politician the right to ban a LEGAL activity in a privately owned, taxpaying establishment. And I do miss playing with my pipe or a cigar in my mouth.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Actually...voters do have a right to ban legal activity...how do you think laws and ordinances come about? Take a look at the recent absinthe ban lifted from the prohibition era. Enough people came about to say that this was unfair and got it "reinstated" as a legal beverage.

If the majority of the voting community says a ban on smoking in privately owned, taxpaying establishments is what they want, well, the only thing that will overturn it is another majority of the voting community rescinding that ordinance...I hear a lot of bitching and moaning, but I don't see a huge uprising from the community to lift the ban...

And to go back to smokey bar topic...when I was playing regularly at the local bars, I'd have to leave to go outside at least once a night from all the burning and watering to my eyes that the amount of smoke caused...and I was a smoker to boot. Even in the past couple of years (before the ban), I'd have to take a break from playing pool or darts and hit the bathroom to wash my face and eyes because of the smoke...

And so far this year, it hasn't been cold enough for me to believe I was "freezing my ass off" if I did decide to go out for a smoke, so don't give me that as an excuse!
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Okay, voters maybe. 9 Politicos on a city council hell no.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-

www.bradjonesbass.com
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

But don't you think if this wasn't the voice of the people (or that the people didn't care on way or another)? I mean, citizens certainly got in an uproar between the blue and yellow petitions with the whole FWCS thing...I'm sure if the city council was really out of whack, that more than just a handful of bar/club owners would have stepped up...don't you think?
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

deek wrote:But don't you think if this wasn't the voice of the people (or that the people didn't care on way or another)? I mean, citizens certainly got in an uproar between the blue and yellow petitions with the whole FWCS thing...I'm sure if the city council was really out of whack, that more than just a handful of bar/club owners would have stepped up...don't you think?
...yeah, they voted Crawford out! and deservedly so.

Less is always more
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

WBOB wrote:
deek wrote:But don't you think if this wasn't the voice of the people (or that the people didn't care on way or another)? I mean, citizens certainly got in an uproar between the blue and yellow petitions with the whole FWCS thing...I'm sure if the city council was really out of whack, that more than just a handful of bar/club owners would have stepped up...don't you think?
...yeah, they voted Crawford out! and deservedly so.
exactly. There's your citizen voice. Now, ammend the law or the rest of you will be replaced next time.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
tiny
Regular
Regular

Post by tiny »

For the record, and someone correct me if I'm wrong....

but the petition drive was mandated in the case of the School Board vote by statutes. One bozo on Council decided that bars can't allow smoking, and got some other bozos to vote along.

I still say you should be able to smoke in bars. Auggie Smith has it down. "I'm sitting here getting drunk, so i can drive home, and have unprotected sex, with this woman that i just met, and this moron keeps blowing smoke in my face!" Gimme a damn break.

But one man, or nine, shouldn't have the right to tell any of the business owners in town that they can't allow a legal activity in their legal, licensed, taxed and regulated businesses--businesses that only allow consenting adults to enter. If smoking cigarettes is wrong, make it illegal. Not illegal in SOME places...illegal everywhere. And more importantly, decline the billions in tax revenue that the sales of tobacco provides.

Alternately, require business owners to decide if they're smoking or non smoking establishments....and make em buy an official plaque for the front door. Charge em $250 for the plaque....smoking OR non smoking. Then patrons will know going in, and can make their own choice...business owners can make THEIR own choice...and the city gets some extra revenue. A win-win all around. Riegels and Wrigley can allow smoking...Other places can opt for nonsmoking status.

I'd even be for a petition drive....or a referendum. But give all the options....smoking, non-smoking, and limited smoking....as options. Most rational people know the difference between lighting up at O'Sullivans, and lighting up at CHuck-E-Cheese, or Applebees.

Until then, it's bullshyt and grandstanding. And business owners and citizens shouldn't put up with it. Vote the lemmings out, too....and let em know WHY.

Just my .02.
Last edited by tiny on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TINY....
-----------------------------------
TINY TUNES Event and Entertainment Services -Mobile Music, Pro Sound, Booking and Event Planning
tinytunesdjs.com

also occasionally on 92.3 The Fort

Still waiting on confirmation of my new Harrison Square condominium purchase.
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Someone needs to step up then (generally speaking) and challenge the ordinance...

I honestly don't care if smoking is in or out...but politics is all about convincing others to go along...and I am sure if enough people actually made a point to be against it while the ordinance was being decided, then the outcome would have been different...

I agree, business owners and citizens shouldn't put up with it...but they do need to do SOMETHING other than complain...any citizen could start a petition and send it to the council, right?