Downtown Stadium Thoughts

City Planning, Ordinances, Events, Radio Stations, and other topic regarding to Fort Wayne.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

mattjericho
RockStar
RockStar
Location: Dayton, first in flight, last in minor leauge hockey attendance.

Post by mattjericho »

bassjones wrote:I don't get the comparison to Dayton and/or Grand Rapids. I believe both of those cities' minor league teams are affiliates of a very nearby major league team (Tigers/and Reds respectively). Also, while the city proper is about the same size, both Dayton and GR have much larger towns nearby than Garrett or Leo.

I'm not sold on gambling, but a multi-use sports facility makes allot more sense to me than a baseball only stadium.
Nobody, and I repeat NOBODY goes to Dragons games because they are a Reds affiliate. Most people could care less that the game is there. You go because you wanna relax and have some beers with some friends in a very cool ballpak and then hit up the bars, restaurants, venues (of which there are over 50) within a 5 block radius.
[b]Okay, think of what little patience I have as, oh, I don't know, your virginity. You always thought it would be there, until that night Junior Year when you were feeling a little down about yourself and your pal Kevin, who just wanted to be friends, well, he dropped by and he brought a copy of About Last Night and a four-pack of Bartels & James and woo hoo hoo, it was gone forever - just like my patience is now.
[/b]
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Coming in late, I'll definitely say that anything that draws a crowd downtown is a good thing. Someone mentioned bars, food and gambling...I think that is on the right track...until we get stuff like that downtown, I don't think it makes much of a case for a stadium.

Sure, the same amounts of people that go to Wizards games will go to a stadium downtown, but just like now, after the game, where do you hang out downtown? Nowhere.

Heck, if there were some more bars downtown, I could see staying a little bit after work some nights to meet up with friends...but there just isn't much in the way of entertainment at all...the stadium could be a step in the right direction, to get people to the downtown area, but for anything like this to be a success in the revitalization efforts, you need other things to keep people downtown.
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
mattjericho
RockStar
RockStar
Location: Dayton, first in flight, last in minor leauge hockey attendance.

Post by mattjericho »

deek wrote:Coming in late, I'll definitely say that anything that draws a crowd downtown is a good thing. Someone mentioned bars, food and gambling...I think that is on the right track...until we get stuff like that downtown, I don't think it makes much of a case for a stadium.

Sure, the same amounts of people that go to Wizards games will go to a stadium downtown, but just like now, after the game, where do you hang out downtown? Nowhere.

Heck, if there were some more bars downtown, I could see staying a little bit after work some nights to meet up with friends...but there just isn't much in the way of entertainment at all...the stadium could be a step in the right direction, to get people to the downtown area, but for anything like this to be a success in the revitalization efforts, you need other things to keep people downtown.
that's my whole point - when they first put the stadium in downtown dayton from what I've been told that neighborhood was a craphole. A few dirt bars and that was it. NOW it's nice and becoming very fun.
[b]Okay, think of what little patience I have as, oh, I don't know, your virginity. You always thought it would be there, until that night Junior Year when you were feeling a little down about yourself and your pal Kevin, who just wanted to be friends, well, he dropped by and he brought a copy of About Last Night and a four-pack of Bartels & James and woo hoo hoo, it was gone forever - just like my patience is now.
[/b]
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

So we are in agreement, downtown needs both...now the question is, which is more important to get there first?
Jambrea
Moderation Queen
Moderation Queen

Post by Jambrea »

Ok, if downtown needs both, what do you do with the old staduim. Do you really think Fort Wayne is big enough to have two of them?
[b]Anyone who can only think of only one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination.
- Mark Twain[/b]
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

After a talk with the management of the Embassy months ago about this very topic, she let me in on a few things about our city and why a concert venue would fail here.

This city waits until the last minute to buy tickets. How many shows have you seen cancelled due to low pre-show ticket sales? Not that the day of the event it would sell out, but when you are looking at the numbers, especially as a promoter, you start to freak out and you cancel the show.

This and a few other factors have put a shadow on this town for many of the larger promoters and they have leaned their lesson here.
QWETTY
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by QWETTY »

so fort wayne needs some kind of new management for basically... everything?
[img]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/Maverick_PMS/fgaebanner.gif[/img]
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Jambrea wrote:Ok, if downtown needs both, what do you do with the old staduim. Do you really think Fort Wayne is big enough to have two of them?
Not exactly what I meant, as you bring up a whole other point. I was simply saying that if downtown was to get a stadium, that bars/clubs would have to be included, and my question was would it be smarter to get the bars/clubs downtown first, or wait until after the stadium.

As to what to do with the current baseball stadium...that I don't know. I don't think the city needs two of them, but I can't see what would go at the current. I mean, we don't need two. And if we tear it down...what goes in its place???
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Oliver's Army wrote:After a talk with the management of the Embassy months ago about this very topic, she let me in on a few things about our city and why a concert venue would fail here.

This city waits until the last minute to buy tickets. How many shows have you seen cancelled due to low pre-show ticket sales? Not that the day of the event it would sell out, but when you are looking at the numbers, especially as a promoter, you start to freak out and you cancel the show.

This and a few other factors have put a shadow on this town for many of the larger promoters and they have leaned their lesson here.
From my understanding, this is not just a Fort Wayne issue, it is widespread throughout the state. I believe I remember seeing stats that Indiana is one of the states with the lowest pre-sale ticket averages but the highest day-of-event ticket sales...

So, this is not something that is going to change anytime soon, as it is just in the Hoosier culture, for some reason!
willis

Post by willis »

if there comparing FW to grand rapids one thing ive notice about grand rapids is there waas a part of town not hsure if it was down town but still a place for buissness and people to get tother the first time i was there and it was rundown with a lot of crappy bars and abandoned buildings when this little coffe shop and all ages venue opened up and i went there this past year and the place seems totally differnt there are music shops, record stores, the bars have been cleaned up and the people seem proud to be there. i think if fort wayne had some one with an all ages venue down town it would give reason for teens to go down town. because though the place in grandrapids is very punk a place in fortwyane wouldnt have to be because i would love to see some bands from fort wayne but the reality is you cant expierience the fort wayne music scene in it whole unless your 21. also imagine how much more pople you would reach if the battke of the bands wasnt at a 21 and over venue. also we need someone to start this hat knows what there doing because little venues run by kids get shut down (art factory). also i think 24 hour bus service would be nice because people from new have or surronding areas may not want to drive to down town and go to the bar and drive home becauseno one want a dui after 2 beers

just my two cents

willis
Jambrea
Moderation Queen
Moderation Queen

Post by Jambrea »

willis wrote:all ages venue down town it would give reason for teens to go down town. because though the place in grandrapids is very punk a place in fortwyane wouldnt have to be because i would love to see some bands from fort wayne but the reality is you cant expierience the fort wayne music scene in it whole unless your 21. also imagine how much more pople you would reach if the battke of the bands wasnt at a 21 and over venue. also we need someone to start this hat knows what there doing because little venues run by kids get shut down (art factory). also i think 24 hour bus service would be nice because people from new have or surronding areas may not want to drive to down town and go to the bar and drive home becauseno one want a dui after 2 beers
I think the reason that all age venues don't work is the case of some ruining it for all. The places seem to have problems with underage drinking. I don't know why Fort Wayne has so many problems. Other city's seem to do ok with all ages places. I would agree that under agers need a place to hang and listen to bands and downtown would be a good place for it, but I don't see it happening any time soon. As for the buses, that might come once there is more activity. We had buses running all the time, but the money wasn't there to keep it up.
[b]Anyone who can only think of only one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination.
- Mark Twain[/b]
willis

Post by willis »

i couldnt agree with you more about the venue it does suck that some one has ruin stuff i would love to have one but im smart enough to do my drinking else where to better it for other people but most of the teens in this city really arnt considerate enough to are about something as a whole its either all about them or it doesnt matter in my opinoin and i am a teen in this city but i also care about the city and what happens in it
QWETTY
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by QWETTY »

some people ruining stuff for everyone else?

*cough *skatepark*cough*

i dont even skate, i j/ went down there to hang out with some friends that did... ya dont go unless you know 10 ppl there. eitehr A) someone will try to fight you, B)someone will hide their drugs on you, C)someone will try to fight you.

there should really just be a cop or two tehre 24/7

anywho, it would be cool to have an all ages downtown venue (not j/ for hardcore bands plz) I would actually go down there and watch bands that otehrwise i dont have much of a chance seeing. the only 'older' (not under 21) bands i think ive seen are trainhoppers, conley, and LLC... the fort needs more all ages venues!!!!

o and to reduce the 'one person ruining it for everyone experience) they just need to check bags when ppl enter, and keep very strict rules on alchohol. That be 'where' in the place they sell it mostly. Ide say it has a 'bowling alley feel'. The bar is enclosed away from everything, and u have to have a license j/ to go near it.
[img]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/Maverick_PMS/fgaebanner.gif[/img]
sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

o and to reduce the 'one person ruining it for everyone experience) they just need to check bags when ppl enter, and keep very strict rules on alchohol.
The thing I've noticed it's that minors didn't bring the booze indoors but rather they drink in the parking lot. Then they come inside and start shitting in trash cans; so to speak.
B)someone will hide their drugs on you
Really? Weird.
zenmandan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by zenmandan »

Is it just me, or does Willis' lack of grammatical skills, spelling and punctuation bug this piss out of other people on here too?