Conservatives

To keep the music chat from being un-interupted send all political opinons here. This is fortwayneMUSIC.com after all.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

TVDinner

Conservatives

Post by TVDinner »

I think it would be both informative and fun to list the issues of modern conservatives. Help me get it right.

Limited federal government
Individualism incentives
Against welfare (because welfare is the opposite of individual incentive to work)
Against gun control
...?

Now what about "the commons"? Should the police, fire department, water, roads, public schooling, libraries, etc. all be privatized?
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Conservatives

Post by bassjones »

TVDinner wrote:I think it would be both informative and fun to list the issues of modern conservatives. Help me get it right.

Limited federal government
Individualism incentives
Against welfare (because welfare is the opposite of individual incentive to work)
Against gun control
...?

Now what about "the commons"? Should the police, fire department, water, roads, public schooling, libraries, etc. all be privatized?
Don't forget pro-life...
Police, no, that's a legit function of government. Also, you're forgetting the key component, which is local government vs. state and federal government. If local citizens wish to fund all sorts of social programs, okay fine, but then let the local citizenry pay for it. It would be much cheaper to run that way anyway since you'd eliminate about 15 miles of bureaucratic red tape.

Fire departments should be publicly funded, water should be deregulated and run by private companies. I think they should contract out road repair. Schools, don't even get me started. End the government monopoly NOW. But I don't want tax money paying for kids in sh*tty schools to go to religious based private schools either - even the religious schools I would send my kid to. Create competition. Contract it all out to private education companies. Small charter schools are the future IMHO. It will take a while though. Libraries should be privately funded.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

Depends on the conservative....

Government is the problem, to a point. We need roads, police, fire stations, etc. These are requirements for any society, and society as a whole should fund them. Those groups should not be beholden to any private firms (although, they usually are today).

Welfare should exist, to a degree. It should pay more, for less time. Most of the people that I know today that are jobless lack any specialty skills. They are smart, just don't have an easy way to get the skills they need (or lack the motivation). Instead of paying them a fraction of what they made, pay them what they made and tell them they have three months to find a job. Incent employers to hire these people, maybe even relo costs if needed.

Schools are a disaster, just like the space program. Instead of leaning down, they create new roles to handle niche needs. My wife worked as a resource teaching assistant briefly and it was a joke. She sat around for four periods and got paid. Waste of taxpayer money. Private schools consistently do more with less money.

Libraries are nice, but in the age of the internet, why bother?

There's more, but that should be enough fodder for now.
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

bassjones wrote:Don't forget pro-life...
I think you will find there are many more fiscal conservatives than social ones...
poopstains
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by poopstains »

Less taxes, and less spending.

as per welfare, most people just assume that conservatives/Republicans are just against it as a whole. While the major issue is that yes their are people that legitmately need it, but there is no reason to get off it. You can milk it for a long time, and make no attempt to better your self. That is the issue. It should be limited to a specific time, and should be reserved for those that truly need it, not just any one that wanders in.
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

bwohlgemuth wrote:
I think you will find there are many more fiscal conservatives than social ones...
Hence, the Libertarians. . . While I know there are many behaviors people do that might be self-destructive or I would not personally advocate because I am socially conservative, I feel in most cases it's not the government's business to regulate them.

As for the pro-life issue, there can be a good Libertarian argument on either side of the issue, depending on your definition of life, which I DON'T want to get into ;-)
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

I just wish a real one was running for prez.

Less is always more
poopstains
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by poopstains »

WBOB wrote:I just wish a real one was running for prez.

x2
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

real libertarian or real conservative? the libertarian candidate is probably more of a conservative than he is a libertarian and the supposed conservative (Republican) is a moderate/liberal. I'm voting for Barr
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-

www.bradjonesbass.com
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

=^-..-^= wrote:
bwohlgemuth wrote:
Hence, the Libertarians. . . While I know there are many behaviors people do that might be self-destructive or I would not personally advocate because I am socially conservative, I feel in most cases it's not the government's business to regulate them.

As for the pro-life issue, there can be a good Libertarian argument on either side of the issue, depending on your definition of life, which I DON'T want to get into ;-)
thank you. although i wish you would get into it a little bit. i could use the help - at least I'm presuming it would be... :)
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

bassjones wrote:
real libertarian or real conservative? the libertarian candidate is probably more of a conservative than he is a libertarian and the supposed conservative (Republican) is a moderate/liberal. I'm voting for Barr
my leanings also!

Less is always more
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

bassjones wrote:

thank you. although i wish you would get into it a little bit. i could use the help - at least I'm presuming it would be... :)

Since I have about 8 years on you in age, the best way I can help you is to say I 've learned in eight years NOT to bring up issues of race OR abortion. Much to learn you have, young Jedi. . . . . ;-)
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

what... are you skeert? :)
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!

Post by =^-..-^= »

bassjones wrote:what... are you skeert? :)
Alright, you're forcing my hand.

The abortion issue is so polarizing that is soon as you take one side or the other, no one listens to anything you have to say after that admission. THe same old hack arguments get repeated over and over with no resolution or compromise from either side, and the same arguments begin again the next time the subject is brought up. No thanx!

As far as race, you might be as right as God in your statistics and observations; but there's no real counter to 'You'll never understand.'

Ayn Rand

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I was only kidding... and I'm practically a liberal when it comes to race.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com